Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Summer culinary workshops

By Ed Dychauco
Of Pots and Pans

CLASSES will soon be over! Students and parents will once again face the dilemma of what to do during the summer break. But in reality, there are so many things one can do. One can enroll in summer workshops like music, painting, dance, swimming, reading, mathematics, and of course, culinary arts.

And once again, Pots and Pans Home Bake and Coffee Shop will open its doors to those interested to learn the basics of baking, cake decorating and cooking this summer. For almost 20 years, Pots & Pans have been conducting culinary workshops and classes where many of its satisfied students have been successful in opening their own businesses, have upgraded their skills or have been satisfactorily employed both here and abroad.

During the past several years, I have personally trained several balikbayans who are interested to learn and have been engaged in this business when they went back to their respective "countries." Some, I still have contact with because they call me or email me if they come across something they are not familiar with, or have forgotten some techniques. I am always proud to say that they also drop by my shop when they get the chance to come home for a vacation for a little chat or upgrading again for new recipes or techniques.

One should not be intimidated by cooking or baking just because it sounded difficult or one does not have any prior experience. Culinary art is an enjoyable and satisfying (!) activity, both for young and old. One need not worry because I normally go back to the basics, especially when I have lots of beginners in my class. This, I have to credit my sister, the late Gloria Dychauco-Martinez, who have been very patient and kind in teaching me everything I know today when we started this business wayback in 1976. And I am extra grateful to my sister Glo for opening my eyes and passion in this particular interesting art.

For this summer, I will be conducting workshops and classes in basic cake baking, basic cake decorating (using boiled icing), basic fondant icing (sugarpaste), basic gumpaste flower making, bread-making, pasta, chicken, pork, beef dishes, pizza, cookies, pastries (bars, brownies, cheesecakes, etc), special cakes, chocolate cakes and candies and many others. I can also customize a special class to suit their needs if there is a need. Depending on the session and the needs of the participants, the class can be a demonstration type or a hands-on activity.

I normally limit my class because I wanted everyone to duplicate what they have learned in class when they get home. Most often they get to bring home what we have prepared so they can also have their family members or friends taste a piece of it.

Fees range depending on the course, but already include ingredients, materials and equipment to be used and recipe handouts. For more information, please call Pots & Pans Home Bake and Coffee Shop at (088) 858-4209 or (08822) 724-674 or visit us at Don Apolinar Velez St. Cagayan de Oro City. Email at potsnpans1976@yahoo.com.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/cag/2007/03/08/feat/summer.culinary.workshops.html

No comments:

Post a Comment