Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Growing up with tikoy in Chinatown

By Chef Ed Dychauco of Pots & Pans

EVER since I was a kid growing up in Manila, I can still vividly remember having Tikoy as part of our food preparation during the Chinese New Year
.
Having spent many years in Chinatown with my aunts, uncles and cousins, it was normal for me to see colorful Chinese festivities and lavish foods displayed on the tables.

Not to forget, all the shops along Ongpin St. buzz with people buying Tikoy and other Chinese delicacies. In fact, vendors along the streets also sell tikoy, which comes only in the regular white and brown colors. White because they use white sugar and brown, well you'll figure that out.

It was a time when there were fewer people and safer to roam the streets (being a kid) window shopping and checking what shops and vendors have to offer.

We have our "suki", of course, who assure us of the freshness of the items we buy. Sometimes, there are also peddlers who go from one house to the next, which of course makes our buying a easier and faster, although not much cheaper.

I remember we live only a couple of blocks from Ongpin, but there are also equally good bakeries, restaurants, Chinese drugstores, dress shops, barber shops and many other establishments along Benavidez Street, which is just a stone's throw away from where I stay, Piedad Street.

The place I enjoyed visiting and spending most of my time would be the bakeries, of course. Not knowing I would become a baker myself when I grew up! That kind of exposure paved the way for me to become one, I guess. Well, of course I also have to thank my late sister, Gloria Dychauco-Martinez, for showing and guiding me in this endeavor.

What is tikoy?

During the Chinese New Year, a lot of baked and cooked products are displayed and sold more than the regular days, except for some other festivities like Autumn Moon Cake Festival and other special occasions.

The best selling item would be tikoy or sweet malagkit rice cake. Nowadays, different flavors have emerged like ube, pandan, mango, strawberry and corn.

Tikoy is made from glutinous rice flour, wheat starch, lard, water and sugar and needs to be steamed for at least two hours. It would be nice to try making them at home but why bother when you can buy them readily in stores?

Now that I am here in Cagayan de Oro City, I continue to enjoy tikoy as part of my Chinese New Year tradition. I also see an increase in the fondness of tikoy among my friends and customers here and this was what encouraged me to sell tikoy in my shop during this time of year.

Tikoy for good luck?

But what is it in Tikoy that makes it special? Or why should Tikoy be a part of the Chinese New Year celebration? Being of Chinese descent and growing up in Chinatown, I can always say that having tikoy and eating tikoy is a tradition and that it will always be a tradition!

Well, aside from that fact that it is said to bring good luck and counteract negative energies or chi!
Besides, I have always loved tikoy, be it white, brown, yellow, violet, green or pink! On the other hand, if we try to analyze and dissect the tikoy, well I guess we can start with it's shape. It is round (it will always be round!), and it kind of represents money or wealth. It is sticky and it means togetherness, closeness, being one and that should represent our family.

It is sweet and being sweet means being nice, being friendly, being close either as a family or as friends. As for the colors, I guess it would depend on your preference. For me, as long as it's edible I don't care! I just love tikoy!

How to prepare tikoy

Tikoy, eaten as it is (when fresh), is not as sticky as when it is fried. It is less greasy, too. However, to prolong the shelf life, Tikoy should be refrigerated and it will keep for a long time. Sometimes, when kept too long, molds begins to appear. Fear not! Because according to the "oldies", this tikoy when eaten, taste better! Why? Because they said it has been "seasoned" and that it brings out flavors better. However, the molds have to be removed by wiping them away with tissue paper dipped in a little oil. Let us say that I have tried it and well, it still tasted great!

How does one prepare tikoy aside from frying them? Well, the usual way is to cut or slice them into about 1" x 3", ¼" thick (refrigerate them so they are firmer when sliced), and dip them into scrambled eggs and fry. I personally would recommend using a non-stick pan to decrease the need for oil. On the other hand, it tastes a lot better when wrapped in lumpia wrapper, fried & eaten while still warm and crunchy. To add some crunch, one can also add some chopped or ground nuts before wrapping. This tastes oooh so good!

One can also add some jelly or jam, I prefer langka (fresh or bottled) because it gives that sweet aroma and taste! Whether served hot or cold, Tikoy still is good to eat. I like eating them with a cup of hot tea. One word of caution though. Don't eat too much!

It is also a tradition before to give tikoy as presents to friends and family for good luck. But with the economic situation we are in now, it is wiser to buy and keep the goods for yourself! Well, it's not a bad idea to cook them before sharing them so it could be sliced and many people can have a taste of the delicacy, right?

Tikoy or no tikoy, I guess what makes one lucky is how they look at life, how they live their life, and manage their relationships with people around them. Being truthful, nice, and helpful and knowing what is right is very important.

Treating people with due respect and going an extra mile would be wonderful. Fear God, do good and love what you do! And remember the Golden Rule!

Buy tikoy

Tikoy comes in five delicious flavors (white, brown, mango, ube & pandan) and in four sizes (tiny, small, medium & large). It is sold at Pots & Pans Home Bake & Coffee Shop along Don Apolinar Velez St., Cagayan de Oro City. Contact numbers are: 724-674 and 858-4209. Email is potsnpans1976@yahoo.com
Hurry! Buy or reserved your Tikoy now!

Incidentally, culinary classes (baking, cooking, cake decorating, etc.) are going on. Feel free to drop by the shop for updated schedules.


http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/cag/2008/01/17/life/growing.up.with.tikoy.in.chinatown.html

1 comment:

  1. Nice read. May I ask if you have eaten the ready2eat, peanut filled tikoy in CDO? What can you say about that one?

    ReplyDelete