Tuesday, September 8, 2009

2007, the year that was!

By Chef Ed Dychauco
Pots & Pans


THE year is almost over and looking back, I can say I had a fruitful year. I have been blessed with a loving family, my mom, my wife, 3 kids, brothers and sisters and their families. Not to forget my ever-loyal customers and friends who have been with me through thick and thin. I've had my shares of ups and downs but God has been truly very kind and nice to me and for that, I am truly grateful and thankful.

Having been in the business for more than 30 years, I believe that to survive in business, one should be kind and totally honest with their dealings with people. One should know the products or services that is being offered to the customers and have readily available answers for any possible inquiries. Follow up care and maintenance should be available, because one does not only sell the products but also the continuity of services. That is why it is best to shop around and compare prices before purchasing anything.

This year brought me to California where I got to visit several wineries and the Culinary Institute of America (CIA) at Napa Valley (a dream come true!) and of course, my favorite city in California, San Francisco! I was able to update my self in the field of culinary arts and visit several shops and restaurants in the vicinity. It was truly amazing!

I was at the Chefs on Parade (COP) in Baguio City and served as a judge during the Kadayawan Culinary Festival and Mindanao Culinary Festival in Davao City. I did my share of judging also during the Manila Food and Beverage Exposition (MAFBEX) at the World Trade Center in Manila, at the Iligan Medical Center HRM Culinary Activites, and during the SouthFoodExpo '07 for the bartending competition at the Limketkai Mall here in Cagayan de Oro City.

I've also done several culinary demonstrations this past year. To name a few: an intimate Pasta and Chinese Dimsum Class in the cool City of Malaybalay, Cake Decorating at the MAFBEX, Chocolate Candy Molding and Making during the Mindanao Culinary Festival, Cooking, Baking and Chocolate Candy Making during the SouthFoodEx, Fondant Cake Decorating at the IMCC-HRM and many more. But the most memorable one was the one I did for the sustainable livelihood project for the Rebel-Returnees at Camp Evangelista under the leadership of Major Samuel Sagun of the 4th ID. This is aside from the regular culinary classes I handle at my shop. I have seen many of my students getting so busy during the yuletide season for the orders they are getting for their cake and other baked products. Good for you!

I was also able to increase and improve my product lines this year with the addition of the following: CK Products (Candy Molds & Cake Decorating Supplies from the US and England), AmeriColor Gels (Colors, Luster Dusts and Dragees), D'Chef Cake Decorating gadgets and tools (like icing tips, pastry bags, etc.), Oneida Cutlery, Ateco Cake Decorating tools and many others. Peotraco Food Ingredients, which have been with me for a long, long time has added a lot of new products to their line up: Gelatine, Mashed Potatoes, Chocolate Chips, Cornstarch, and many more. All Peotraco Products are ISO 9001-2000 and Halal-Certified.

I have met and befriended a lot of new people who have since become my friends. We keep in touch either through our phones, mobile phones, emails or yahoo messengers! Wonder how it would be like without these 21st century gadgets!

Of course, I would like to thank the beautiful people of Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro, specially Ms Abigail and Ms. Liezl and Ms Bebot and Herbie of Goldstar Daily, Mr. Mike of Kagay-an.com and Mr. Noli of NewsExpress for giving me the encouragement to write and to become a regular writer/columnist for their respected newspapers which is widely read all over the Philippines and the World!

For the coming year, I hope to continue learning and honing my culinary skills so I can also share them to my students and friends. I hope to share my knowledge to the needy so they can start and sustain a livelihood program. I hope to travel more and gain more experience. I hope to make more new friends and acquaintances. I hope to write and share more about my activities, I pray for good health for everyone, a better business environment where there is mutual respect, harmony and understanding. And of course, World Peace!

May we all have a Happy, Prosperous and Joyful New Year ahead of us!

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/cag/2007/12/28/life/2007.the.year.that.was!.html

No comments:

Post a Comment