Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Dychauco: I left my heart in San Francisco

By Ed Dychauco
Pots & Pans

AFTER spending a few weeks in Clayton, California at my Kumpare & Kumare's (Tony and Susan Espanol) lovely house and enjoying my culinary updates at the world-famous Culinary Institute of America (CIA) at St. Helena near Napa Valley, it was time for me to visit & experience downtown San Francisco one more time!

The weather was kind of damp since it was drizzling when we (Tony & me) left Clayton to catch the Bart (train) at about 7:30 a.m. There were only very few passengers on the train when we boarded. We got a good seat were we can see & enjoy the sights on our way to downtown Sanfo. Arriving at the financial district area where Tony works, we had breakfast at the Pasta Paradiso inside Bayside Cuisine which is just beside the famous Embarcadero area. I had my share of the creamy rich-Seafood Fusilli and a bottle of Snapple while reading the downtown map. What a heavy breakfast!

We parted soon after and I was on my own. I started walking (believe me, that is the best way to see the area!) towards Embarcadero and headed North West to Pier 39 then to Fisherman's Wharf. I had a good view of the San Francisco Oakland Bay Bridge, which I use to cross every time before. To my left, Telegraph Hill is clearly visible with the Coit Tower, another tourist attraction. Who could have missed those Cable Cars? They are everywhere!

Upon reaching Pier 39, I went inside those little shops that sell almost everything, from souvenir items to signature clothes and apparels to fine steaks and seafoods and farm-fresh fruits to decadent chocolates! The weather became very cooperative since the sun is definitely shining with the cool breeze from the Pacific Ocean. What a lovely day to stroll around the city! The scenery is full of flowering plants! And of course, tourists from around the globe! And just across the bay, one can see the infamous "Rock"-Alcatraz Island!

Upon reaching Fisherman's Wharf, I got to enjoy the beautiful Golden Gate Bridge still with the morning fog covering parts of it. I can still vividly remember when I used to show my friends the spots of San Francisco many, many years ago when I used to work as a Psychiatric Nurse at John George Psychiatric Pavilion in San Leandro, about an hour or so North East of San Francisco.

A couple of blocks away, one can visit the delicious Ghirardelli Chocolate building bursting with so much sinfully-rich tasting deep dark chocolates! One can smell the aroma and even get to taste their chocolates for free! Once inside the shop, one can marvel at the varieties of chocolates for sale! A real wonderful treat!

Heading south towards the city, I had to "climb" up Hyde Street, a very steep street leading to Lombard street. So what about Lombard Street? Well, that is where one can find the "world's" Most Crookedest Street! Just like any other "tourist" I just have to get my fill of pictures! From up the street, now I have to go "down" the street heading towards Telegraph Hill. I happen to pass by St. Peter and St. James Cathedral near Washington Square and I decided to drop by and say a few prayers and thank God for all the blessings.

I slowly inch my way down Mason Street and got to pass through Chinatown, turning towards Union Square. I didn't realized I had been walking for a full 7 hours until I was met by Zepe and Maricor Baldomero (Susan's sister & husband), who gladly showed me the area by car this time! I was dropped off at Macy's where Tony treated me to a sumptuous Angus Beef Ribs and Fries dinner and a luscious Chocolate Tower Truffle Cake at the Cheesecake Factory, a "high-end" restaurant located at top floor of the building. There, one can see Union Square below filled with people, enjoying the sight and sounds of what the city has to offer!

Finally at 15 minutes past 7 p.m., we were on our way back to the train station. The sun is still out there since it was practically summer yet in Sunny California! We got back to Clayton about an hour after and was met by Susan who was not working that night. A very long chat followed after that, what else?

Looking back, it was a totally refreshing and stress-busting treat for me. It's been several years since I was in San Francisco and again, I ALMOST left my heart in San Francisco!

Through this article, I would once again like to thank profusely my "other" family in California, Tony & Susan Espanol and their wonderful kids, Andre, Enza & Chris & Zepe and Maricor Baldomero. Also to Ibing, who was my "driver" and tour guide to the wineries of Napa Valley and the Culinary Institute of America at St. Helena. To all of you, God bless & I hope to see you all again soon...here or there?

For culinary classes, visit or call: Pots & Pans Home Bake & Coffee Shop, along Don Apolinar Velez St., Cagayan de Oro City with telephone # 724-674 & 858-4209 email: potsnpans1976@yahoo.com

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/cag/2007/09/06/life/dychauco.i.left.my.heart.in.san.francisco.html

No comments:

Post a Comment