Wednesday, September 9, 2009

La Salud Turones de Mani

By Chef Ed Dychauco of Pots & Pans

WHILE growing up in the once unspoiled laid-back and old-fashioned island province of Camiguin, I had fond memories of my summer and Christmas vacations there. Just the thought of taking a boat ride from Manila to Cagayan and then from Cagayan to Camiguin gives me this wonderful feeling of going back to nature.

Breathing the fresh air and taking a dip in the open seas, in the hot and cold springs and waterfalls of this tiny Paradise Island is worth the long trip. Meeting my relatives (mother side) and spending quality time with my grandma, (the late) Maria Tuante Vda de Sia tops my list of what to do. As far as I can recall, we only have 3-6 hours of electricity daily, which starts from 6 p.m. to 12 a.m. Sometimes we don't even have any at all and we have make do with the native abaca hand fan! But it was sure fun to have "petromax" and "lamparilla" around. Seeing different species of insect flying and dying once they get burned when they get near the flame was something I can never imagine seeing while in the bright city lights of Manila. It was an unforgettable experience and a learning experience rolled into one!

Local delicacies
Everytime I get to Camiguin, Mambajao to be precise, I always look forward to buying and eating the local delicacies to my heart's content! I would either go to the market, which is only a block away or if it's a Sunday, it will be the "bulangan" or cockpit. There I'd have my fill of "kiping" (which I use to call plato or plate) which is ohh so crunchy with lots of "latik" on top, suman latik (malagkit rice with bukayo on top), pastel (not too sweet! which is totally different from what is being sold now), suman bulanghoy (cassava), bibingka and of course, the one and only La Salud de Turrones de Mani of the Bollozos Clan!

How I eat my turrones de mani
It brings back a lot of memories whenever I have my share of this delicious peanut/honey Turrones! We use to buy them in cans of 50's at P5 only! And of course, I'd try to hide myself from my other siblings because I wanted them all to myself! I always start eating them by munching both ends of the turrones because I just love the "crispness" of the folded wafer. The wafer reminds me of the "white rabbit candy" I used to eat when I was small.

History
Let us try to explore the history of this very authentic and original delicacy of Camiguin, which has been handed down from generations starting from the 1920's till now! And mind you, they are still using the original recipe that was taught to them by their grandmother, Rita Corrales-Barrientos (who is originally from Cagayan de Oro City but married to a Camiguingnon, Filomeno Barrientos) and continue to use the old "barquillera" in producing those delightful thin wafers! The Barrientos were blessed with 12 children but were orphaned at an early age. Thus, Lola Rita thought of a home-based business and was lucky to know someone from Manila who taught her the trade in this Turrrones venture.

But it was only Salud who took interest in this business way back in the 30's and eventually changed the business name to "La Salud Turrones de Mani." Getting married to Jose Bollozos, they had 6 siblings. Ms. Rita Bollozos, named after her Lola and now in her 70's but looked really youthful for her age, took care of her Mama Salud and ended up with this third generation business. Tita Rita has been very helpful and most gracious to me when I went to see her for this article. It was kind of a reunion for us since our family and their family is very close since the 1920's starting with my grandmother, then my mom (who has Tita Tits Bollozos-Perlas as one of her closest friend, now based in Hawaii) and myself (having classmates, friends, kumares and barkadas of the Bollozos Clan). I also get to savor the Turrones de Mani for FREE during my visit!

Production
I was given a tour to their production area by Tita Rita where Neneng Cavada, wife of Paul Cavada (a nephew) was seen making "Barquillos" using the time-tested, decades old "barquillera" with two other employees. I was told that they initially make the wafer first, producing about 500 pieces per day. Next day was supposed to be the making of the peanut-honey filling. They only use Camiguin Honey which they say makes a lot of difference in the exquisite taste and texture of their turrones de mani.

No wonder I couldn't find any other turrones in the country that could surpass their distinct and superior quality! And not to forget, every turrones is hand-made with extra care and love poured into it! Location Located along Los Libertadores St. corner Burgos St., this present house was built in the 60's and has been renovated several times to accommodate the greater demand for the business. However, Tita Rita refused to upgrade or change the system because she believes in quality. She believes that their famous turrones de mani should be done the way it was since the 1920's! And I totally agree because I always want my turrones the way it used to be! No preservatives, no additives, no artificial flavoring or coloring! Only real ingredients!

Several journalists and TV personalities have visited them and among them were: Ms. Susan Calo-Medina for her Travel Time TV Show in the 80's, Ms. Angel Aquino, etc. They also receive many visitors during the annual Lanzones Festival and during holy week and summer vacation. Students also get to see the place for their field trips. La Salud Turrones de Mani is DTI & BFAD accredited. They are sold in packs of ten at P45 and box of 6 inner packs at P280.00. When you get to Mambajao, Camiguin, make sure you get to bring home a couple of packs or boxes of La Salud Turrones de Mani! You surely would be glad you did!

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/cag/2008/02/21/life/la.salud.turones.de.mani.html

No comments:

Post a Comment