Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Tuna pancit


Wednesday, March 14, 2012
PANCIT is dish that we love, be it for special occasions like birthdays, anniversaries, christenings, etc. or just plain day to day meal. What is in pancit that makes us wants to eat it? Maybe because it is a complete meal in itself -- carbohydrates, protein and fats. Or maybe because it is filling.
One thing for sure is that, this recipe is also very economical, especially to the budget conscious.
As the entire Christian world celebrates the Lenten Season, we go for meatless dishes. Vegetables and seafood now are on top of our list, be it for the whole week for the duration of lent as a sign of penitence or just on Fridays until the Holy week.
For the past several weeks, I have featured meatless dishes and now, I would like to share my version of this Tuna Pancit for those who might want to try this. Actually, Orvin, a summer culinary student of mine last year, texted me some time ago asking for this recipe and I thought why not share it with everyone instead?
There are really no special procedures in making this, unless one doesn't know how to cook pancit in general! I remember learning to cook pancit when I was in my younger years with my wonderful mom as my mentor. I was always mesmerized by my mom's home cooking, and of course, also my late sister Gloria who taught me all the basics I need to know in this craft.
When I was younger then, I only knew of the market-bought noodles that were soft and shiny because I guess it was easier to prepare than the dried ones. But it proved me wrong because once you master the art of cooking pancit, everything will just follow.
Of course, the dried pancit canton needs more liquid to soften them up. I would always like to use chicken, pork or beef stock in the process so as to add more flavor. But nonetheless, with the proper ingredients and spices, you can omit the soup stock.
So, what makes this pancit different from the regular pancit? Naturally, it is the use of tuna. Just make sure one uses the chunky type of tuna so it won't become too mushy when they are mixed. Again, what kind of tuna? It really depends on your taste. With a variety of flavor now in the market, the choice is yours. Feel free to experiment.
But for those who are just starting, I would recommend that the oil-based plain tuna be used so the flavors can be adjusted to your liking. And from there, one can gradually try the other varieties for a more complex taste.
What other basic ingredients are included? Well, let's start with oil, minced garlic (I love garlic so I tend to put more), sliced onions, sliced bell pepper, sliced carrots, sliced celery (for added health benefits), shredded cabbage, snow peas, soy sauce and black pepper. Chopped green onions will be used at the later part. Not to forget, the broth or water to soften the noodles. Just make sure don't overcook the noodles or else it becomes soggy!
I tend to play with the amount of the ingredients in all my recipes because of the availability or what I feel when I am doing it. Sometimes, I fell like eating more cabbage so I put in more. Sometimes, I would even totally omit an ingredient as long as it's not going to affect the totality of the dish. As I have always said before, experiment and who knows? You might develop a specialty that is yours alone!
In cooking, I always like to use a wok because it is easier to stir, to mix and to cook. I also like to cook in a hi-pressure stove although most of the time this is not available in regular household.
With all the ingredients ready, let’s start cooking!
Heat oil in the wok or pan. Sauté garlic and onions. Put in the bell pepper and carrots. Then the rest of the vegetables. Don't overcook the vegetables so that you retain its crispness. Season with soy sauce. Add the tuna last. Or if you prefer, the tuna can be added to the cooked noodles instead.
I would take out all the veggies (so as not to overcook) and then add some broth/water to the pan, soak in the noodles and let it cook till soft. Add a little soy sauce. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Transfer noodles to a platter and pour the vegetables and tuna on noodles and top with chopped green onions.
Voila! A Lenten dish special!
(Email: evsd@yahoo.com; website: www.potsnpans1976.weebly.com)
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on March 15, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment