Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The savory dish Ginataang Langka


Thursday, January 12, 2012
THE first time I ever tasted this delightful and wonderful dish was when I was in Mambajao, Camiguin many, many years ago during one of my annual summer vacations there.
I never heard of langka (jackfruit) being turned into a wonderful dish while I was in Manila. But I sure do know that this is really a fruit. A very sweet-smelling and fibrous yellow-colored fruit which we all enjoy and most of us would use or display (and also eaten by guests) during a grand opening of a business establishment for obvious reasons.
As a fruit, this is always used as one of the main ingredients in our very refreshing Pinoy halo-halo which gives that distinct aroma. It is also used a lot as a “filling” for our crunchy banana turon and of course, overripe langka is cooked and then turned into jam or jelly.
But using langka as a dish? I was a bit surprised initially until I learned the process in preparing this exotic and appealing dish. However, it was not until I became passionate in the culinary arts that I started to discover and realized that this is really a simple but nutritious dish that is equally easy to prepare.
One thing I know is that I fancy my ginataang langka a bit thicker and with a lot of “sauce.” Eaten over rice, this becomes my main meal! But if it is quite watery, I would treat it as a “soup” instead. Adding a few slices of ginger gives it a “kick” and that is just heavenly!
Some would cook this local staple with very thin (well, almost none!) coconut milk. Some, I know make use of evaporated milk as a substitute. But nothing beats the real thing!
But, remember we are using unripe, immature jackfruit here. Before, I thought it was the ripe fruit but then I know it couldn’t be because I can’t smell the pleasurable scent of the jackfruit.
For so many years, I do a lot of marketing myself in search for fresh and extra-ordinary produce. And I am really glad entrepreneurs now are simplifying ways for the buyers. Just like for this ginataang langka components. One can find the sliced and ready-to-cook langka side by side with the grated coconut in the wet market.
For the more budget-conscious house maker, dried fish is used for that added flavor and taste. Sometime, it is just plain jackfruit and the usual “pang-gisa” vegetables like garlic and onions.
But naturally, one can add slices of meats like pork or chicken, sea foods like shrimps and squids to heighten up the dish a level higher. And obviously, the dish would taste a great deal better.
Nevertheless, I still believe that it is the right amount and the right consistency of the coconut milk that is of utmost importance to make this a fantastic dish! If it is hard to find fresh coconut, then make use of commercially prepared and canned coconut milk by all means.
This is one coconut dish I really appreciate and enjoy which I can eat many times a week! Not to forget also ginataang monggo, ginataang alimango or hipon, ginataang gulay (especially ginataang kalabasa), chicken curry, laing and many, many more!
I just love coconut milk in my dishes! And also in my desserts and in my kakanin. Gosh! I can go on and on!
Try the recipe below.
2 tbsp oil
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 pc onion, sliced
Few slices of meat
2-3 cups langka, sliced
1-1½ cups coconut milk
½ - 1 cup water
Salt and pepper to taste
Sauté garlic and onions in hot oil. Add the meat. Pour coconut milk and water and let boil. Add jackfruit and cook until soft. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment