Thursday, August 23, 2012

Dychauco: Cassava pudding


Pots and Pans
Wednesday, April 11, 2012
ONE of our favorite kakanins which I am sure everybody love and would be looking forward to in almost all occasion is our very popular Cassava Cake or Cassava Pudding.
Made with fresh or frozen grated cassava (also known as Yucca or kamoteng kahoy) as the main ingredient with coconut milk, condensed milk, egg and cheese, this dessert (aside from being a kakanin) is baked till golden brown.
Added topping of a mixture of coconut milk, condensed milk, cheese and egg makes this dessert extremely heavenly! Preserved Macapuno strings can also be added for a delicious twist.
During celebrations, be it small or large, fiestas or any get-togethers, this item plays a major role in the dining table. I always remember looking forward to this every time I am in one of those festivities. In fact, sometime I would sneak a slice or two before the meal!
But I can always say that my memories of this were during my summer and Christmas vacation in Cagayan de Oro and Camiguin. I don’t remember having this while growing up in Manila. Maybe because I grew up in Chinatown or maybe it’s not that available in the market where my mom would go for our supplies.
Aside from the cassava cake, I know I like cassava in general because I tremendously enjoyed cassava suman so much that there was a time I would constantly demand for this type of suman every afternoon! Then there is also the mouth-watering “kiping” made of grated and then sun-dried cassava. Subsequently, it is deep-fried till crispy and crunchy then finally drizzled with latik, which I recall calling this as plato-plato in my younger days!
When powdered coconut milk became available, I tried using it instead of the fresh coconut milk and I find it to be much easier in terms of preparation but a bit expensive. It made my life a lot easier which I would encourage our readers to try for themselves and see the difference.
Steamed and eaten as it is, cassava, however, tastes a lot better when dipped in sugar or latik. A word of caution though, if prepared improperly it can be toxic.
Cassava is a woody shrub native to South America but grown extensively in the tropics like the Philippines and sub-tropical regions. It is the edible and starchy roots that are used. It is also a major source of carbohydrates and a staple food for a lot of the developing countries.
Below is a simple and basic recipe:
500 gm cassava, grated
2 cups coconut milk
¾ cup evaporated milk
¾ cup condensed milk
3 pieces eggs
¾ cup butter
1 1/3 cup sugar
¾ cup cheese, grated
Mix all together and bake at 350 degrees till light brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment