Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Cooking curry


Wednesday, September 21, 2011
ONE of the most favorite spices in the world would be curry if I am asked. In many Asian countries, including the Philippines, we have our own way of preparing and using this pungent but delicious spice in our cuisine.
Maybe because of the several influences of our neighboring countries like Thailand, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, India, Malaysia, Vietnam and Burma, this spice found its way into our kitchen. And I should say, it was a welcome treat for all of us!
South Asian curries are typically composed of turmeric, cumin and coriander although some other spices like black pepper, chili, cardamom and star anise can also be included, depending on the geographical area where it is found. It also varies in term of flavor and heat.
I personally like curries, be it cooked with meats, poultry, seafood or vegetables. The spicier, the better it is for me. And I can always say that I would “sweat” it out every time I have curry for a meal! Not bad, huh?
I was in Thailand sometime ago and I was exposed to their wonderful world of curries! My cousin’s wife is a Thai and that helps me explore and appreciate this exotic spice a lot better.
I found out later that there are different varieties of curries in Thailand, namely: Yellow, Green, Red, Massamang and a few more others. And prepared in different ways, too. I liked their yellow curry soup and it is kind of sweet. It can be enjoyed plainly as soup or over rice.
Here in the Philippines, we cook our curry dish like most of our Asean neighbors using coconut milk primarily as the liquid base. Using one type of meat or a combination of meats, garlic, onions, bell pepper, carrots, potatoes and peas are used to enhance the dish, although it is not uncommon to see mushrooms, olives, jicama, fresh chillies and other vegetables in this particular dish.
I know of several friends using evaporated milk in lieu of the coconut milk. The taste would differ but it still serves its purpose. Not a bad substitute I should say.
I grew up where curries are always made with beef or chicken. Or a combination of both. But as my palate became more explorative, I started using the different meats and vegetables in the process, which also widens my repertoire in this delicious main course.
Personally, I would add more of chili peppers, cayenne pepper and/or black pepper in all my curries! Yummy! The more spice in it, the better the “heat” of this dish!
Am sharing with you a simple curry dish for all to try. Again, like all my other recipes, feel free to add/deduct ingredients and spices to perk up the flavor!
1/2 kilo meat (chicken, pork, beef) cut up
1-2 tbsps curry powder
3-5 tbsps oil
3-5 cloves garlic, minced
1 pc big onion, quartered
1 pc bell pepper, cubed
1 pc big carrot, quartered
1 pc potato, quartered
1 can coconut milk
salt and pepper to taste
Mix one tablespoon of curry powder to the meat and marinate for an hour. Pan fry the meats till light brown. Set aside.
In the pan with the oil, sautè garlic and onion. Add the bell pepper. Return the meat and add the carrot and potato. Pour the coconut milk and add water (if needed). Season with salt and pepper. Let simmer till meat and vegetables are cooked.
Serve hot.
Enjoy and happy cooking!
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on September 22, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment