Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Chinese influences in the Philippines


Pots and Pans
Wednesday, January 18, 2012
HISTORY would tell us that Chinese have been in the Philippines for so long that a big percentage of Pinoys have Chinese ancestry somewhere along the way. Most are engaged in business, be it food, textile, fashion, furniture, banking, etc.
And many have succeeded in their fields and that also includes medical and law professions, accounting, architecture, engineering, teaching, IT, music and arts. Name it and one would find quite a handful of Tsinoys very successful in any of those chosen disciplines.

And it has become a part of our lives to be following Chinese culture and tradition. In fact, Chinese New Year is celebrated all over with tikoys, round and bright-colored fruits, lots of food (naturally!), something red or gold, dragon and tiger dance and fireworks, too!

The wearing of red or bright and vibrant colored attire during happy and auspicious occasions is one thing we got from the Chinese. Our vocabulary. Our business sense. The offering of food for our dearly departed, and some deities. And many, many more.

But speaking of food, we all know that a lot of our favorite food is of Chinese origin. And I can name quite a lot. Let us start with noodles or pancit in almost all forms, which can include canton, miki, bihon, sotanghon and misua. Sweet and sour dishes, be it pork or fish. Siopao, siomai, lumpia, lomi, chop suey, humba and a lot more. I can definitely say then, that food was one of the greatest influence and contribution of China to the Philippines.

I was told that my grandparents came to the Philippines way back in the early 1900’s and were engaged in businesses, what else? Both my grandmothers had “small feet” as it was mandated (?) then in China. My maternal grandparents in Camiguin were into the copra buy and sell trade while my paternal grandparents were into general merchandising in Manila.

Naturally, my parents and everyone else in the family continue to do what they grew up with. I can also say I have the best of both worlds since I was both a “city” boy and a “barrio” boy.

That makes me a 3rd generation Tsinoy here in the Philippines. I was born in Manila and grew up there during my early and teenage years then migrated to Camiguin and Cagayan de Oro where I eventually got my college education.

And business was like second nature to all of us. Most of my relatives engaged themselves in businesses, mostly being commerce graduates. But a few went into the law, fashion, engineering and medical fields.

Growing up in Manila and being with several of my father’s sibling and their families gave me a deep insight and understanding of being a typical “Chinese,” both in culture and traditions. I went to a Chinese school in Binondo and learned all the basics and quite a lot of the more advanced teachings.

We were expected to learn more than a language at a time. That makes us really multi-lingual. We go to English classes in the morning where we learn English, Tagalog and Spanish, then Chinese classes in the afternoon. Medium of instructions was in Mandarin and Fookien. Five different languages all at the same time!

Was it tough? In some ways, yes and in many ways, no. Because it was sort of “expected” of us. And besides, being kids, we grasp things faster and easier I think. And I should say it was a good training for all of us. It was like natural for us to learn several things all at once, the way it should be.

Most of my generation are now married and have kids of their own. And that makes them 4th generations of Tsinoys. I am even a grand uncle now because of my nephews and nieces and several of my cousin’s children, who are also mostly married with kids of their own. And what does that make them? Fifth generation Tsinoys! And that is in a span of almost a century!

On the 22nd day of this month, it will be the eve of Chinese New Year and again, most of us, Tsinoys or not, are now busy preparing in welcoming the Year of the Water Dragon.

And again, we all pray and hope for a better, bright and blessed future by doing good deeds and following some accepted “rituals,” traditions and beliefs, which is said to bring us the needed luck and prosperity for the coming year!

Doing them or not really depends on the principles and attitudes of the person. What is important is what is inside the person and how he makes good use of it in making this world a better place not only for himself but for everyone!

Kung Hei Fat Choy!  Kiong Hee Huat Chai!
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on January 19, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment