Thursday, August 23, 2012

Holy Week Reflections


Pots and Pans
Wednesday, April 4, 2012
"ISN'T it strange how a P100 bill appears to be a large amount when donated to church but too small when you go shopping? Isn't it strange how one hour seems so long in church and so short when having fun? Isn't it strange how everyone wants front row tickets on concert or show but they want last row in the church? A usual but strange reality. We say God is our priority but have we proven it every day?"
I am pretty sure we have received or read this message through text or somewhere. Have you ever reflected on this? And how did you reflect on this?
How very true, right? Seldom can one see or give a hundred peso bill to church because it seems to be a large amount. Yet it is not enough to buy things one wants (take note, not needs!).
Going to church seems an eternity if your mind is somewhere else and not focused on the Holy Mass. Yet, having fun, enjoying something you like is so short a time given an hour!
We always wanted to be near where the action is, be it in an activity like a play, concert or the like. Yet if one really looks around, the seats near the altar are always half empty!
Did you ever ask yourself why? And what you can do about it?
The Christian world now celebrates the Lenten season and I believe now is the time to reflect, repent and pray. For ourselves, our families, friends, our community, our country, for the whole world!
He suffered for us. He died for us so we will be saved. Don't you think we should do our part now before it's too late? And as Catholics, we grew up learning and listening to the word of God.
Having gone to a Catholic school and university, I was blessed to have learned so much about God and His Words.
Maybe not enough yet, but enough for me to have a strong foundation in my faith. And I continue to know more through the Holy Mass, through interactions with priests, lay ministers, friends and I should also include, the Catholic TV channel.
There are things that I cannot find the answer now, yet I believe. Because I also believe that there should be some mystery in what we believed in. There is faith. I always say this: We haven't seen God, yet we believe.
For those who only believe in what they have seen, "to see is to believe," I don't blame them. But again, there are things that should be left unseen, but still we believe.
I grew up in Mambajao, Camiguin in my early adolescent years and went to Fatima College of Camiguin for three years. I was exposed formally through the religious classes taught by the Sisters of Mercy. I attended Mass on Sundays and all holidays of obligations. I went to confessions and received my first communion there. I observe Holy week like everyone else but it was done the "old" way. It was solemn and very "religious" in all aspects.
It was such an unforgettable experience because I learned so much and it helped mold me spiritually into what I am now. I still make mistakes but I learn from them. I ask Him for guidance, His love, His presence and in almost everything I do. Hoping and praying I make the right decisions in life.
He listens. It might take time, but He does give us what we need, in His time. Miracles do happen and I believe in them. I am saying this because I have seen them unfold. These may not be huge or gigantic but it did happen to me. And as the saying goes, He wouldn't give us something we can't handle.
Everything happens for a reason. And there are times that we really have to be patient and wait. So always look at the silver lining. After the storm, the sun would shine. And behind those clouds, the sun is still shining.
During my college years at Xavier University, Religious Studies (RS) was part of our curriculum and Jesuit priests were our instructors. So I am safe to say that I was getting what I needed to know from the "authorities" on the subject matter. And it deepened my understanding.
The past years also were fruitful because I was exposed to a lot of really nice catholic priests where I can talk about things beyond my imagination. They eventually became very good friends whom I can count on.
I guess once we also get a little more mature, we get to be more "closer" to God. No wonder there are more mature people in church than the younger ones. Studies also say that people who are deep in their religion are happier and live longer.
So, how's your faith? How's your relationship with God?
Have a blessed and Holy Week.
(Email: potsnpans1976@yahoo.com; website: www.potsnpans1976.weebly.com)
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on April 04, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment