Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Summer Culinary Activities at Pots and Pans

By Chef Ed Dychauco

Friday, March 19, 2010

THE heat that we are all experiencing for quite some time now is the effect of global warming, according to scientists all over the world. High humidity, scorching heat, dust and pollution all adds up to what we call as “summer”. And indeed, once school is over, everybody get restless as what to do during those two months vacation.

When one goes around the city, one can obviously see the tell-tale signs that we are all in for a busy summer. Be it outdoor activities like swimming, biking, mountain climbing, river-rafting or ballgames like volleyball, basketball, football and the like or indoor actions like badminton, ballroom dancing, bowling, and artistic crafts like painting, piano or voice lessons being offered.

Ranging from a few weeks to a month or two, summer lessons are being proposed by schools or individuals. Prices can range from a few hundreds to thousands depending on the skills of the instructor, location, amenities and number of students being accepted.

As a child, I never got the chance to go for summer activities. Guess we were trained to be more “business-minded” than being creative! Not that I am complaining, I guess it’s in the blood.

Besides, being in a store is also a lot of fun because i got to meet different kind of people. I get to hone my skills in selling and learning the trade, aside from getting to know more about what we sell and of course, getting paid, too! This I think is essential for people who might decide to become an entrepreneur one day.

Summer activities need not be expensive as long as one knows what to do with his/her free time. A realistic goal should be set and followed to make sure that at the end of the summer, a new craft or skills is achieved & learned or perfected which could be put to use at a later date.

Many successful athletes, artists or even business people became famous & profitable for what they have learned during their spare time. And I am pretty sure summer months played a vital and important part in their lives in making what they are now.

Many excellent chefs, cooks and bakers started at home, either as a “side-kick” to their parents or siblings and later on, move to enrolling in culinary schools or classes to further their knowledge and widen their skills. Somehow, somewhere, there would be an “idol” they look up to and realized that this is what they wanted to do when they grow up. Just like what I did. My mom is a very good “cook” and I think that’s where I got my genes from. I was also told that my maternal grandma was also a great cook (but I never got to learn from her). I learned all my basic know-how from my late sister, Gloria who started Pots & Pans Home Bake & Coffee Shop way back in 1976. That makes us 34 years old this year!

Just like what I have been doing the past many summers and even during the year, I am continuously offering culinary classes. For a minimum of three people to as much as 10, a class can be scheduled anytime (9 a.m.- 12 p.m. or 2 p.m.- 5 p.m.) except Sundays as long my schedule permits. I keep the number of participants to a minimum because I wanted everyone to be near me and see what I do throughout the class. This, of course is to ensure proper learning to everyone.

I have been kept busy lately with out of town activities like culinary demonstrations, classes & judging which I always look forward to because it makes me appreciate other places & enjoy the food they have. I also believe that it is easier & more economical for me and to everyone when I go to them rather than them, coming to me.

Many a times, I am also requested to conduct classes to a small group (10-15 pax) which is done at their own homes. I find this exciting & fulfilling because I get to know my “students” at a more personal level and that always spell the difference. There is this friendly “connection” and they are more relaxed and comfortable which enhances learning and make it more meaningful. I also encourage them to ask questions at any time during the class and even after the class if there is a need. In fact, I still get calls from my students here and abroad (like Germany, Italy, Canada, USA, Japan) every now and then although and also get a lot of inquiries from my website and emails.

Hands-on and Demo Culinary classes ranges from Baking (cakes, breads, brownies, cookies, pastries, pizza, etc.), to Cooking (Chinese, Pinoy, Pasta, Chicken dishes, etc.), Native Kakanin, to Cake Decorating (Basic, Fondant, flower making, etc.). Recipe hand outs, ingredients and use of equipment and tools are inclusive of fees. Every one also gets to taste and bring home samples of the finished products.

For a list of class modules, please visit my website: www.potsnpans1976.multiply.com or email me at potsnpans1976@yahoo.com Or you can drop by at Pots & Pans Home Bake & Coffee Shop located along Don Apolinar Velez corner Hayes Sts., Cagayan de Oro City with telephone number 858-4209.

Enjoy this summer, make yourself busy and learn new skills you can be proud of!

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cagayan-de-oro/summer-culinary-activities-pots-and-pans

No comments:

Post a Comment