Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Dychauco: Culinary workshops, classes, judging and a wedding

By Chef Ed Dychauco

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

FOR the past four weeks, I have been extremely busy with so much fun activities and you all guess it right, it was all about culinary demonstrations, classes, judging a barista competition and attending a wedding.

Whew! And that’s not all, because all of these wonderful things happened in different places, which means, I have also been traveling a lot!

Updates on President Benigno Aquino III's presidency

To start with, upon the invitation of SM Department Store’s head, Ms. Maya, I did an afternoon session of cooking at the Nestle Training Center in Baloy for the home makers & housewives of Nestle employees last July 10, though it was raining real hard, many attended and had so much fun learning new dishes and of course, tasting and eating the prepared mouth-watering cuisine.

Then on the 14th, I have to fly South, to Davao City and spent 4 exhausting but fruitful days there for Zeelandia’s Baking Seminar which I conducted together with Mr. John Alexander Uy and Mr. Felix Oracoy. It was nice to be back in Davao because I get to see many of my friends & relatives there. Plus of course, the delectable dishes and fresh fruits they have there which is really hard to resist!

By Sunday, we were on our way to Manila. It was a good thing we spent the night over at Manila and left for Lucena City the following morning. I got to bond with my relatives (dad’s side) the whole day. I was so ecstatic to see my aunt Justa, who just celebrated her 90th Birthday last June. Except for some hearing problems, she still is so active, up and about. Well, according to her, it is because of “yoga”, “taichi”, prayers and eating the right food!

Spending the next three days at Lucena was truly amazing: a laid-back city with the many amenities of modern life. It was so nice to see many old houses still in mint condition! In fact, the place we stayed was also an old house-turned into a hotel. Again, it was for Zeelandia’s Baking Seminar with same staff.

After arriving Manila on Wednesday noon, I have to fly back to CDO in order to prepare for my trip to Dipolog City two days after. I conducted two sessions of cupcake decorating and bread making seminar for the Diplog Medical Center’s SHRIM students. I feel like being at home in this city since I have been there so many times before.

Four days later, I found myself preparing for another “livelihood” seminar for the Nestle Retirees, still at the Nestle’s Training Center in Bulua the following day. Initiated by Ms. Liz Deloso, it was attended by several people who were ager to become future entrepreneurs. The two-day activities focused on meat processing, baking, steaming, frying and talks on business venturing. And of course, after the “cooking”, everyone get to taste the finished products. It was in fact a very casual and personalized activity and I hope the participants now have a clear view of what they wanted to do.

By Saturday, I have to make the cake & attend the wedding of my classmate and Kumare Yayang Salvo and Kumpare Toto Gamos’ daughter, Cheche who is a Policewoman like his Dad. It was an exciting affair and brings back a lot of my friend’s wedding memories 28 years ago. You see, together with my two other college classmates, Ms. Joy Argayoso-Villegas & Ms. Nita Chua, we were also present during Yayang and Toto’s wedding. Truly memorable!

Then, it was my turn to fly back to Manila to attend WOFEX (World Food Expo) 2010 at the World Trade Center where I was invited by Mr. Bebong, Ms. Elaine and Ms. Jocelyn of Comfort de Vie Company to conduct several culinary demonstrations. Wednesday was Korean Cooking, Thursday was Mediterrenean Cuisine and Saturday was dedicated to Decorating Cakes and Cookies. I was also tasked by Ms. Cherrie of Equilibrium Intertrade to serve as a Judge during the Barista Competition last Friday at the SMX Convention Center at the SM Mall of Asia.

I get to meet again old acquaintances like Chef Sau Del Rosario, Ms. Penk Ching, Chef Jill Sandique, Chef Mia Manuel, Chef James Antolin, and many others. I made new friends in Chef Fernando Aracama, QTV True Confection host Aileen Anastacio, Ms. Mary Jane of Gilamar Enterprises and several others. It was really exciting & entertaining meeting and seeing new people and learning new ideas in a national trade fair! Thank you all very much and looking forward to another expo with all of you!

More on WOFEX in my next week’s article.

Email: potsnpans1976@yahoo.com website: www.potsnpans1976.weebly.com

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cagayan-de-oro/dychauco-culinary-workshops-classes-judging-and-wedding

No comments:

Post a Comment