Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Post-Lenten Reflection

By Chef Ed Dychauco

Thursday, April 8, 2010

THIS year's Holy Week is over. And looking back: Was the week "Holy" for all of us? Was it a week of repentance? Was it a week where we really took time to reflect and spend time with God? Was it a week of prayer?

Many, many years ago, when most people were still pious, devout and religious, Holy Week was spent at home and Church. It was calm and quiet. No loud noises, no loud talks, no loud music! It was virtually a time of prayer and meditation. And the only one place to go was the church.

Communing with nature was not even an option. It was a time when people must and should attend all the Lenten activities called for in the Christian World. Vigil and Visitation of 14 Churches in the evening of Maundy Thursday, Seven Last Words on Good Friday then Procession (with candles lighted on our windows), Black Saturday was spent at home and who could forget the re-enactment of Jesus' Resurrection on Easter Sunday with those cute little girls dressed as "angels" after mass!

I grew up a Catholic and I had my late Grandma, Maria Tuante de Sia (who was baptized later when she moved to Mambajao, Camiguin in the early 1900's together with my Grandpa, Jose Sia Mayong, after they migrated from mainland China) and my parents to look up to and thank for when it comes to my Catholic upbringing. We live not far from St. Nicholas Parish Church in Mambajao, so it was really a short walk. I never got to see my Grandpa since he left us a year before I was born. But my Grandma, who had those "tiny" feet (I was made to understand that it was a "status symbol" for single ladies in China then) was my constant companion in attending religious activities.

That was where I started to learn more and appreciate God. Well, of course, aside from the fact that I got to study for 3 years at Fatima College of Camiguin, a Sisters of Mercy-run school. Most of the Nuns and Priests then were Irish. There, I got to know more about God through Catechism subjects and classes. It was then I had my First Communion (at grade 5!).

I remember the priests reciting prayers in Latin and used the pulpit to do the "sermon". Earlier in my childhood, I can still recall the priests saying mass while facing the Altar. We all had to kneel down while the priest (and only the priest) and the sacristan, move from left to right of the altar while giving communion to the parishioners since the altar was "enclosed" before.

Songs and Praises for the Holy Mass was almost the same all over (I also spent a lot of time in Manila) so I know I can "sing" with everyone. What I have noticed lately is that, the tune is changed so often that it leaves me "praying" instead of singing! If not, different churches have different "tunes" to the same "prayer".

We are all dressed up in our best clothes for all church services. Women wear a veil over their head, no shorts, no revealing attire. We have to listen and be quiet while inside the church. No food or drinks are allowed inside. We observe the one hour fasting before if we have to receive communion.

Fasting was complied without any question - from Ash Wednesday and every Friday thereon, until Holy Thursday and Good Friday. Not only do we do not eat meat but we eat less, too as a sign of penitence.

Today, we see clearly a different scenario. I keep on hearing people saying they are going away for "Panaad", but as far as I am concern, it should be done with God in mind. It should be done with solemnity and with lots of prayers and silence. There should be inner peace. But instead, it is done with "friends" with lots of talks, laughter, music, food and excitement. It kind of losses the essence and defeats the purpose of "Panaad". Many do not observe fasting anymore and I am astounded seeing some populace eating "lechon" on Good Friday!

Clearly, it is a time when people are looking forward to a "vacation" instead of spending "quality and quiet time" with God. It is a time when people "think" it is time to party instead of religious and family bonding.

I am not trying to be "Holy", "Religious", "Pious" or whatever, but I just felt that we should give respect and "try" to be one, even for just a "week". Remember, there are 365 days a year, and God is only asking for seven days! Is that hard to do?

"To each his own", as the saying goes. If one believes the way one do so, then be it. Guess I am just pretty "old-fashion" when it comes to being a catholic. Guess my faithful upbringing in my belief has a lot to do with what I am today.

Recently, I was listening to Don Moen's rendition of "God is good all the time", "Give Thanks" and "God will make a way", and it just sounded extremely beautiful that deep down inside, I really felt so good. Who says praise songs are boring?

Remember, God Loves You!

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cagayan-de-oro/post-lenten-reflection

No comments:

Post a Comment