Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My Food Trip in Cebu City


I WAS in Cebu City last week for Wofex Visayas where I did a Gum Paste Flower Making demonstration at Cebu International Convention Center.

While I was there, I had the opportunity of visiting and took the pleasure of treating myself to quite a few new restaurants and food shops. And this is from a lot of my “sponsors”. And by sponsors, I mean my “new-found friends” (Thanks to Nino Lazo of Darling Foods) and my Kumpare, Dave Ong and sister, Gracie.

After our (Nino and wife, Lourizza) arrival in Cebu, we was treated to “Ilaputi”, a cozy restaurant at the Cebu Business Park. I ordered Chinese Chicken Jambalaya, a big bowl of rice mixed with Hungarian Sausage & Chicken slices. It tasted so good that I consumed the whole bowl while chatting with Mr. Jude Del Rio of Judphilan Corporation, who was our host that morning. The others had the usual breakfast fare, cornsilog and hamsilog.

We were treated to the newly-opened “Classic Savory Restaurant” at SM Mall. It was truly a blast from the past! I used to frequent Savory Restaurant along Escolta St. in Manila when I was a kid. It was there where we had our very special meals during very special occasions like birthday celebrations. I can still recall the times when we would go there for the BEST Fried Chicken in town! It was always a big treat for us. When I saw the black and white picture collage of the “old Manila” on the wall, I just have to take some photos, for posterity sake. It really brought back a lot of pleasant and wholesome childhood memories. What about the food? What can I say? The chicken tasted like the chicken I remembered. The noodles? Just great! Again, this late lunch was a treat from Mr. Tata Yap of Aromatise Corporation.

The following food trips were made possibly by my good looking Kumpadre and his equally beautiful sister. First stop was at a restaurant that serves native foods, Tsiboom and is located at the Parkmall, just across Cebu International Convention Center. We had pinakbet, bicol express, sizzling bangus and baby back ribs. A very satisfying meal indeed!

The following night, we decided to have Pizza and Pasta at Giuseppe, a well-known Italian Restaurant that serves real authentic foods, made the Italian way. The pizza and the pasta were so good that I forgot to write down the names of the two dishes. Thin crust with lots of Prosciutto, sausage and mozzarella cheese that practically melts in your mouth! Just writing about this is making my mouth water!

What is “real” food without desserts? Well, we visited La Marea Pastry Shop and Lavazza CafĂ© and had our share of their ice cream-topped brownie dessert. Just delicious. Another yummy dessert was the very famous “Razon’s” Halo-halo which is conveniently located across SM Mall. I can’t believe they only have three major ingredients in the mixture: macapuno, banana and leche flan. At first glance, I wasn’t really impressed with it because it looks so “bare” and I had the mistake of eating the leche flan which was on top of the thinly crushed ice. I was given a few more slices by Ms. Emilie de Vera, the owner and was told to include the leche flan in the mixture. So, I did. It was delightful & heavenly! Not too sweet, just right! I can have more if not for my bulging “tummy”!

After all these good food finds, it was time to relax. And we just had that at Thewi Spa, a traditional Thai Massage and Spa Center. The back massage was really soothing for my tired and aching muscles and did wonders to my system.

Coming home after four short days would not be complete without “pasalubongs” from the Queen City of the South: Titays Rosquillos, Shamrocks Otap, and La Fortuna’s Masi! I have to pay excess luggage for all of these but it paid off when I saw how my family enjoyed all of these goodies!

For all the good times we shared and the times to be shared in the very near future, I would like to thank my Ninong Samson Ong, Kumpadre Dave and Gracie for a wonderful time again. And looking forward to our “eating”sessions ahead!

Email: potsnpans1976@yahoo.com website: www.potsnpans1976.weebly.com


Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on April 29, 2010.

http://74.124.194.219/cagayan-de-oro/my-food-trip-cebu-city

No comments:

Post a Comment