Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Mindanao Culinary Festival 2010 (Part 2)

By Chef Ed Dychauco

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

THE first part of Mindanao Culinary Festival (MCF) 2010 was held last June during the Food Packaging and Processing (WOFEX Mindanao) at the Bangko Sentral in Davao City where I served as a culinary judge. From then on, I have been to Davao City every single month until this September.

I did a baking seminar for Zeelandia Philippines in July at the Linmar Suites. Then in August, I was given the privilege again to serve as judge for the annual search for the Ginoong Kadayawan. Once more, last Thursday, I was back again in the “Durian, Mangosteen, Rambutan, Lanzones and Pomelo” City of Davao for the 2nd part of MCF 2010! Amazingly “fruitful” indeed!

Despite my busy schedule, I made a commitment to the organizers of this year’s competition and I made it! I arrived in Davao just in time for breakfast. I was billeted at the newest hotel in town, the Pinnacle Hotel and Suites located in Sta. Ana, in the heart of the city. I was told they had just opened last July and not all the floors were occupied yet. Nevertheless, it was a spacious and nice hotel with ample parking spaces, a huge lobby and a grand staircase that leads to the 2nd & 3rd floors where the ballrooms and restaurants are located.

By 9 a.m., I was picked up by Mr. Angel and we went straight to SM Mall where the activities were held. Table setting, Napkin Folding, Skirting and a few other events had already been done the previous day. I missed the first day but had a truly wonderful time judging the Nestea Mocktail Competitions. I was one of the front judges together with Mr. Gatchi of Blu Gre Cafe and Ms. Tess of Claude’s for the Coca Cola Mocktails while it was Mr. Jun Sy of Nestle Phils for the Nestea Mocktails. Although, I missed all the “tasting” since I was assigned as one of the “front” judge.

It was remarkable to see these young, energetic and aspiring HRM students working hard but at the same time, enjoying the friendly competition. I could already see and pick a number of these good looking hopefuls who are sure to succeed in their endeavor. Given a few more years and with proper guidance and training, they are sure to do well.

The afternoon competitions ended early and awarding ceremonies were held at the SM Event Center immediately after. Contingents from different schools all over Mindanao were present to cheer and shout for the awards they received. It was both wonderful and astonishing how much energy and stamina these young people have! After every award was given, there was always a “picture” taking for posterity’s sake.

I still had time to go around SM Mall for half an hour and it was then back to the hotel for some needed rest. By 7pm, I was on my way to Marco Polo Hotel for MCF’s 10th year Anniversary Celebration dinner. Entitled “A Dinner with the Chefs”, it was a formal sit-down dinner at the ballroom with the who’s who in Davao! It was ably hosted by Chef Gene Gonzales and the General Manager of Marco Polo Hotel. There was music in-between and overflowing wine to go with the food being served.

The dinner was prepared by well-known chefs like: Paddy Lascano, Ed Tuazon, Penk Ching, Rhea Castro, etc. The Menu included: Multi-colored breadsticks with Tuna and Shrimp Pate and Spicy Tamban Dips, Smokes Market Shrimps, Ostrich Prociutto, Crisp Crocodile Bacon, Ostrich Pate on the Table, (Wine: Spumante Brut), For Appetizer, it was Kaffir Scented Tuna Carpaccio and Sprout Salad with DavaoeƱa Ensalada, Absinthe Perfumed Saang Chowder (soup), Fish Course was Curry Streaked Meuniere of Cream Dory with Seafood Cakes (wine: La Boschetta) which was followed by Lemon Sorbet with Essence of Sweet Potato Tops. Main course was Braised Crepinettes of Guinea Fowl with Exotic Rice and Mixed Grains (wine: Le Blanchette), Cheese included Vintage Blush Malagos Cheese with Crisp Lavosh and Poached Pineapple Hearts in Spiced Red Wine (wine: Nero D’ Avola), and finally Ylang Ylang Ice Cream and Tablea Cheesecake, Orchid Chiffon with Custard Sauce and Cashew Tartlets as desserts.

I got to sit in the same table where Ms. Olive Puentespina, her hubby and son were seated. I also got to connect with a distant relative of my wife, Mr. Albert Casenas. What a small world indeed! It was a great and magnificent night to enjoy good food, wonderful wine and the company of new and old friends alike.

I was really tired when I got to the hotel and after freshening up, I found “bonding” with my “queen-size” bed irresistible and didn’t wake up until I got a wake-up call the following morning! It was time to leave but not after a hearty breakfast and more “picture-picture” in the hotel!

To the organizers, Konkordans, and the Davao Tourism Association headed by Ms. Jean Bangayan, and to all her staff, my heartfelt thanks and warmest congratulations for a job well-done! Till next year!

Email: potsnpans1976@yahoo.com
website: www.potsnpans1976@weebly.com

Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on September 15, 2010.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cagayan-de-oro/lifestyle/mindanao-culinary-festival-2010-part-2

No comments:

Post a Comment