Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Gerarda J. Abanil: A Great Teacher and Valued Friend


By Chef Ed Dychauco

Monday, May 10, 2010

AFTER graduating from Nursing, I took up B.S. Biology at Xavier University where I got the chance to be a student of Ma'am Abanil. I already knew her from a long time ago because she was also my mother's teacher at Camiguin Institute (now Fatima College of Camiguin) in Mambajao, Camiguin way back in the 1940Æs during her high school years.

Mrs. Gerarda Juni-Abanil is from Magting, Mambajao. I don't know much about her life but I knew she was married to Mr. Gaudencio Abanil, who was also my Natural Science subject teacher. They have several children whom I got to know also quite well. I remember Kay and Ellen because I made their wedding cake way back in the 80's. While I was in the US of A, we kept in touch with Ma'am and also Kay through letters. I always liked the hand writing of Ma'am. In fact, I think I still have some old letters from her.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Abanil were brilliant in their career as teachers (or shall I say Professors). They taught very well and know almost everything when asked. And when I say everything, I mean anything under the heat of the sun! They were like walking encyclopedia!

I got to know a lot of this and that about Ma'am Abanil through my Mom because they were very close, not only as student-teacher, but more like that of an elder and younger sister relationship. My Mom is 10 years younger and in fact, I regard Ma'am Abanil as my second mother. Whenever we have family get-together, we would never fail to invite her. I would always pick her up at their house along Yacapin Street, to make sure she would be present and have fun with all of us.

As a teacher, I always had the feeling that she knew all the pages in the book by heart and mind! I learned so much more about Human Physiology from her, although I was already a registered nurse when I took the subject. There's always room for more knowledge and I was getting a lot of it from Ma'am! She should have been a scientist or a medical doctor, I told myself. And she would outshine everyone! She was practically a genius!

She was strict but very kind. She has a great sense of humor. She loves her profession. As mentioned earlier, she has been teaching since the 1940's. And I knew she taught till the 90's until her retirement. I was her student in the early 80's. So that means she taught for almost 50 fruitful years I should say. Many of my classmates are now successful doctors, teachers, entrepreneurs, or employed in various prestigious institutions. Surely, they would agree with me when I say, Ma'am Abanil played a major part in what we became and what we are today.

Having known her as a friend, I can confide to her. She encouraged me to pursue a degree in medicine. I don't know what she sees in me that made her told me that. But I did enroll myself in the very first batch of XU's Dr. Jose P. Rizal College of Medicine. I had to stop after the first semester because I was having hard time studying and going to school and cooking/baking/decorating at Pots & Pans Home Bake & Coffee Shop. I was doing well in school but I was getting weak due to lack of sleep. Ma'am Abanil was one of the first to know about my decision. She felt bad and yet she still encouraged me to go back if I decided later. That later never came and I became a frustrated doctor! But still she encouraged me to pursue higher education and hopefully earn a PhD instead of an MD. Again, it never materialized. Looking back, I guess I was just not meant to be one.

After retiring, she led a simple life in her old abode in Balbagon, Mambajao, tending to her plants which she loved dearly. We both spent time exchanging notes on plants which I also enjoy a lot. I got the chance to visit her a few times. Last year I got to visit Ma'am again. This time, she looks very fragile and weak. I feel terribly bad seeing her in that condition. She speaks very slowly, but still mentally alert. I know she felt frustrated not being able to move around freely. Knowing how active she was way back then, it was a wake-up call for me. I have a soft spot for the elderly and being a Psychiatric Nurse, I wanted to reach out. But how far, I don't know. I just have to leave my Mom with her for them to reminisce their glorious past. I wanted to remember her as an active, cheerful, all-knowing mentor & friend! Not something disturbing nor frustrating.

A few weeks ago, I met and talked to Ms. Luz YapChai-Abanil, one of Mrs. Abanil's daughters-in-law. I was informed that Ma'am is in the hospital and had all the tubing and medical gadgets to keep her alive. I wouldn't want to see her in that condition, I told myself. I might not control myself.

I wanted to see her again but I never got the time to do it. Another wake-up call! It made me realize that we should take time and spend quality time with the ones we love before we lose them. And we should do it now, before it is too late. But then again, I'd rather remember her as I envisioned her to be. Not an old, sickly and weak individual who is helpless and hopeless.

Last Tuesday morning, I got a text message from my kumare, Sylvia Khu-Abamonga informing me of Ma'am's departure. She was 92. It saddened me tremendously. I was shocked. I informed my Mom and she got teary-eyed. But then again, I thought it was best for her to go, she has suffered a lot. I always remember Ma'am using the word "pre-departure" area for people who are in the sunset of their lives. She was there, too. She had devoted her time here and now, she must be happy to be united with her lifetime partner up there!

As I am writing this, I am not only misty-eyed. But I am in the verge of crying. I missed the times we spent together. The talks, the learning, the jokes, the letters, the fun and the good times we had together. I know she led a very contented & happy life here. She has been a blessing to all of us. She taught us a lot. She was an epitome of an ideal mother, teacher, confidante, mentor and friend all rolled into one!

Ma'am Gerarda Juni-Abanil, wherever you are right now, please watch over us. I know you are at peace. You are now in the hands of our Lord and having fun doing what you do best, "teaching" and "mentoring"
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cagayan-de-oro/gerarda-j-abanil-great-teacher-and-valued-friend

No comments:

Post a Comment