Saturday, May 11, 2013

Unforgettable Laing

Pots and Pans
Wednesday, November 28, 2012
DURING one of my stints years ago as a caregiver instructor in one of the schools in Cagayan de Oro, I was tasked to teach “health subjects” and of course, culinary classes which I loved profoundly.
In doing so, I was able to cover a lot of disciplines in terms of food of different countries. But of course, one particular area that is close to my heart and which I felt that my students should like and learn to love would be our very own Pinoy cuisine.
 
As I have written quite a lot of Filipino food in my previous articles, I have always profess my love for anything prepared with coconut milk. Kalabasa in Coconut milk, Ginataang Monggo, Ginataang Langka, Binignit, Chicken Curry, Cassava Pudding and many more.
 
And this is another dish that I taught in my class and eventually became a great fan of this. I was trying to inculcate authentic Pinoy dishes in the course and thus, teaching the different cuisines of the different regions of the Philippines.
 
A delicious dish from the Bicol region, Laing is technically made of coconut milk and dried Taro leaves. Some prefer the leaves to be shredded, some like it whole. Whichever it is, it is still Laing to me. Plus the fact that we have so much coconuts, so why not make use of this?
 
Personally, I like the leaves to be shredded, because it is easier to scoop form the serving plate and also, easier to eat. I have seen large leaves in laing which sometimes makes it hard to be cut especially if there are no knives available for use. Although there are other ways of preparing laing, I would definitely reassure you that this simple method is easier.
 
This is one dish I found to be very budget-conscious because with one order, one can have several cups of rice in one sitting! Besides, it is almost a complete meal by itself. Just make sure to have several cups of water to cool of the spiciness of it, although milk or sugar is said to be a better deterrent of the heat in the mouth.
 
 
Laing
 
2 Tbsps      oil
5-8   cloves     garlic, minced
1     large  onion, chopped
2-3   Tbsps      ginger, minced
25-30 pcs taro leaves, dried and shredded
½     kl       pork, diced or ground
¼     kl       shrimps (chopped)
1 ½   cup    coconut milk
5-8   pcs    jalapeno peppers (sili), sliced or chopped
1     cup    coconut cream
                 Salt and pepper to taste
 
 
Sauté in a little hot oil the garlic, onions, and ginger till fragrant. Then add the pork and/or shrimp and continuecooking till they change in color. Next, add the leaves together with the coconut milk and the jalapeno peppers (the more the spicy it will be!) Appetizing!
 
Season with salt and pepper (some uses bagoong), let simmer. Then lastly, add the coconut cream.  Serve hot, over steamed rice would be a great idea! And start perspiring for this oh-so-mouth-watering spicy hot dish! Don’t forget to bring some hankies or paper towels with you!
 
(Website: www.potsnpans1976.weebly.com, email:  potsnpans1976@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment