Saturday, May 11, 2013

Camiguin Today

Chef Ed Dychauco, RN
(April 11, 2013)



After so many, many years, I finally got the chance to visit my “hometown” province once again. It proved to be sort of a sweet-sour encounter on my part because of some unexpected major & minor changes, especially on the tourist spots within the island, the majestic “century & almost century” old houses & residences of days gone by and the on-going infrastructures.

Probably I was expecting too much. I have been hearing a lot of new & exciting things for the last several years about the natural and man-made beauty of this “paradise” island born of fire that I have high hopes and anticipation, in terms of “improvements” and “developments” which naturally, would mean “grand and magnificent” changes.

But to my dismay, it was not much as I imagined or envisioned it to be.

One thing that I was looking forward to upon stepping on the island was the old decades/century-old residences. A few impressive & luxurious old houses own by the islands’ well-to-do families still stand majestically. But one can say that the place seems empty.

Most of the impressive large windows are closed, the imposing main doors are closed. I would presume that the original owners have left this world and the next of kin have either left, gone abroad or moved somewhere more “culturally advance”.

Most of the “middle” class family abode as evidenced by wooden structures (as compared to the more upscale grand dwellings) had been left to deteriorate and decay. It is such a shame to see such historical piece of Camiguin go to waste.

On a lighter note, I see so much new, colorful yet bold and striking modern houses sprinkled along the highway and way up in the more quite & cooler areas of the mountainside. Several private or “beach” houses can also be found along the seashores.

I just realized that there are many “vacation” houses up for rent for vacationing families or friends. Depending on the extent & scope of the house, prices can range from about P500.00 more or less per day.

Rather than staying in a hotel, this is the next best place to stay for the more budget conscious traveler. The good thing with this is anyone can cook, wash and do whatever they would normally do at home. But of course, nothing beats the service one get when staying in a hotel, inn, hostel or the like.

20-30 years or more ago, one can meet one or two “foreigner” visiting the place. But now, I realized a lot have made Camiguin their homes. So it is not surprising to see or meet a handful of them wandering and even engage in business with the locals.

It used to take us more than 2 hours to go around the island by car. Now, it can even be less than an hour. The circumferential roads have been improved which makes land travel much easier and friendly to the vehicle owners.

However, the trip to the “tourist” spots is still a pain. I tried to check out several places like the Bora Soda Pool, Sto Nino Pool, Katibawasan Falls, Comvol, Kibila Clam Conservation Nursery to name a few. While a lot of the roads that lead to the location are “cemented”, there were still some “rocky roads”.

I wonder why these few meters of roads are still not totally concreted & paved. Shouldn’t it be a smooth ride to the destination so as make life easier for both the tourist and the locals?

Most of the places to be seen within the island charge a fee. I truly understand the need for it. The maintenance, the caretakers, the expenses in the upkeep. But then, I wasn’t impressed with what most of the place has to offer.

Parking is ridiculous. It was a mess. The people within the areas are not even “tourist-friendly”. It seems to me it is just about making money. I feel so sorry for them because they could make it so much better so as to give a better impression.

But I suppose we are still in the infant stage of tourism and we still needed a lot of improvement and better skills in handling guests, both local & international.

I was so excited to see the giant clams, but what my eyes saw was just a few clams in 2 or 3 round man-made aquariums. It wasn’t even identified properly. The place looks so dark and dingy (inside the hall, if one can call it such).  

A few “guides” were present to answer some of our queries but not enough to satisfy my quest for definite answers. But seeing them answer with a smile is enough to say, they actually love their job!

The devastation of typhoon Pablo on the sea creatures were prominently displayed along the way leading to the main area but then again, not identified well. I was surprised to see caged ducks and ducklings. Was that part of the display, too?

The “chapel” inside the old ruin church was nowhere to be seen. But one can just imagine the grandiosity of the church during the pre-eruption of the volcano since what we see now is the top portion of the structure.

The 5 large churches on each municipality were on my list of “to visit, pray & give respect”. Each has its own charm, character & history. But I was really amazed at the historical Sagay church. If one can only go back in time, I am sure it has so much stories to tell!

But for me, our own beautiful San Nicholas de Tolentino Parish Church (being a Mambajaonon myself) is comparable with the other churches in the Philippines. The huge bell displayed in the left side entrance is a piece of history itself which one should take note of.

I have so much unforgettable memories in this parish since my parents were married there way back in the 1940’s. I had my first communion in this church, when Fr. Ryan was the Parish priest with Fr. Bartlett as his assistant, and this was in the 70’s!

Studying at Fatima College of Camiguin under the Sisters of Mercy for 3 years was one of the best thing that ever happened to me. God is good!

We are truly blessed. I just hope and pray we continue to be good to others, be God-fearing and enjoy the natural bounties and abundance God has offered to us.

Come again to Camiguin and be a part of God’s love!




No comments:

Post a Comment