Saturday, May 11, 2013

Travelling…. Alone!

Chef Ed Dychauco, RN
(April 25, 2013)



For so many times, I am sure we have travelled alone at some point of our lives. Be it near or far, within and far beyond.

Every time we prepare to take a trip, it is with great enthusiasm, preparation and “looking-forward” to the planned journey. We might constantly talk about it, share our feelings about it and even “brag” about it to family & friends.

The excitement and everything prior to the trip can be so overwhelmingly exhausting. But in the end, making the trip is THE ultimate goal.

I have had my share of these travels myself. Months or even years before the planned trip is always full of eagerness & anticipation. There is the thrill, yet there is also the fear especially if one is going to a place where it is totally new.

Say, going abroad. For sure, many can relate to this. It is with so much interest prior to the trip. What to bring, what to do and all the “what ifs”.

Leaving behind loved ones for a period of time is hard. I can say that for sure. I remember my very first trip abroad and it was terribly hard to adjust. The subsequent trip is equally hard more so because of the time spent with family & friends during vacations.

However, on the lighter side of it, one can move freely and easily because one doesn’t have to wait for other people. With this, one get to go around the place faster and less time is spent waiting, if you know what I mean. In totality, the word there is “flexible”.

For me, I am always fascinated by the beauty of nature, historical sites and tourist spots. So I tend to devote my time in “old structures”, museum, parks, and maybe theme parks, too. Nature including flora & fauna captivate & mesmerizes me.

And like most of us around, taking pictures becomes second nature to me. So I can always say, the camera is really an extended part of my life! Just like my mom as everyone would say!

The only regret in taking picture without a companion is not being able to take good photos of one self, unless one get to bring a tripod with them. Most cameras are now equipped with a timer, so it won’t be as hard.

I always believe one should travel light especially if there is a lot of “walking” tours. Bring some water and light snacks just in case since most “tourist” areas sell items at a higher price.

Try to wear comfortable shoes & clothing fit for the trip. An extra light jacket might be needed if it becomes chilly at the later part of the day or night.

Use rechargeable batteries it is cheaper in the long run. Just make sure to bring the charger with you! Or you will end up buying more batteries along the way!

Taking video of the place or activity is also good. Again, most cameras now are furnished with built-in camera that can take so much, depending on the capacity of your memory card.

And if the area calls for a “scenic & panoramic” shot, then do so with these new cameras. It is worth it and trust me, it can tell so much about the place without any explanations!

Make friends along the way. And who knows, they might become your friends and you will end up helping each other if the needs arises.

Most of all, enjoy the expedition and bring back lots of memories!







No comments:

Post a Comment