Saturday, September 17, 2011

Remembering My Dad…

Chef Ed Dychauco, RN


My dad came from a big family based in Manila in the early 1900’s. My grand parents migrated from Mainland China and became successful businessmen in Chinatown. Out of the many children, only 9 of my dad’s brothers & sisters survived the cruel realities of life. Some succumbed to childhood diseases, some I really don’t know what happened.

Being the 3rd son, (there were 5 daughters & 4 sons), he didn’t get t finish his studies because as far as I can remember, they have to make sure their sisters get to finish college instead of them. And with that, he went to work at an early age, helping out in their general merchandise business.

Eventually, my dad married my mom and was blessed with 6 siblings, 3 girls & 3 boys. We lived in our place along Concepcion Street in Ermita , Manila for a few years more before we were transferred to our aunt’s place. We were left to stay with them because my mom has to move back to Camiguin to be with my grandma. My dad suddenly became a “probinsiyano” after being a Manila boy since birth.

But while we were under one roof, my dad worked as a sales agent and he travels a lot. Sometime we don’t get to see him for days because of the nature of his work. So, it was always a welcome sight when he is home, especially on weekends when we get to go out and have fun with my other brothers & sisters.


I always look forward to having great lunch or dinners when he is around or just plainly going to Luneta Park if the “budget” does not allow us. With a balloon in one hand and an ice cream cone on the other, it was already very special for me.


My father was strict, but kind. He makes sure we studied hard and make good in class. It was only later in Camiguin when I get to study there for 3 years that I got to know him better. A small town with few people. He earned his ranks. He became president of so many socio-civic organizations. Soon he was elected as a councilor in Mambajao and not only once, but for several terms.


He plays the harmonica well. He loves music, but specifically “marching band” music, since he used to be a member of his elementary and high school band. He always talks about his friends and how they did well in their band. He can play simple melody on the piano, too.


He was well-liked by the people because he is generous. Either with advices, “fung shui” tips, and many others. In fact, he is also good in traditional Chinese medicine that he also became known as “Doctor Dy”. I remember having a cabinet full of Chinese herbal remedies in our house then. And he would give away those medicines for free to those who came to see him for “treatment”.

He can read Chinese characters very well and was a wide reader, be it in English or Chinese. A lot of words of wisdom he can share, not only to me and my siblings but to others as well. And I noticed that every time he can’t seem to understand something, he has a dictionary ready. Both in English & Chinese. Guess that’s where my love for books started.


He was very proud of our achievements. We all finished college with different college degrees. But when business is in your blood and runs in the family, nobody can ever take that away from you! That is exactly why all of us are now entrepreneurs. I particularly recall the time when I graduated from my Biology degree and my proud parents were there to attend. Never did I realize that they had never attended a single graduation rite from my other 4 older siblings, since they all graduated in Manila. No wonder they were so excited, proud and very happy during that day.


When my elder brother, Bob, died of a drowning accident in White Island Camiguin in 1987, he was devastated. Being the first male born of the family, he was my dad’s favorite. I can see the pain, the grief and the anguish in his face. I’ve never seen my father cried. It was just terrible seeing my dad in that state for sometime. But life must go on. He went back to his normal routine and eventually seemed to be okay. But not for long.

The year 1989 was another tragic year for our family. I brought my parents to the United States for a vacation but another disaster struck. My elder sister, Gloria died due to ecclampsia. When I told him of the news he was totally devastated. It was just 2 years when he lost a son, now a daughter.


Sad to say, we have cut short their trip and I have to accompany them back home. It was unbearable to see both my father & mother in distressed. But I have to be strong for them. I heard my dad asked God, Why? He was overwhelmed with 2 loses in 2 years. And that was hard, even for me. But then again, everything happens for a reason, although we really don’t know the reason.


I continue to work in the United States and when my dad became really ill, I flew all the way from St. Thomas, Virgin Islands to come see him. But since I have only a weeks’ leave, I can only talk to him on the phone after my trip home. That was on April of 2006.


He celebrated his 70th birthday on August on the same year which unfortunately was his last. All members of the family attended, his brothers & sisters from Manila came. Many of his close friends were around. I missed this one since my leave was not approved. I really felt bad.


Now, I can only look back and reminisce the time we were together. Remembering his words of wisdoms, his laughter and love for his kids and grand kids. He was really fond of children.


Now that I am a father myself, everything seems to be coming back to me. Not just being a dad, but a nurturing dad, a friendly dad, being around for my children when they needed me.


Dad, wherever you are, I know you are my guiding light and you continue to shower me with your love & wisdom and be the best dad ever. We love you and we miss you!


A wonderful Happy Father’s Day to all dads!


Email ad: potsnpans1975@yahoo.com website: www.potsnpans1976.weebly.com


No comments:

Post a Comment