Saturday, September 17, 2011

My Most Cherished & Treasured Encounters at The World Food Expositions

Chef Ed Dychauco, RN

If my memory serves me right, I had been invited to grace, judge & conduct culinary demonstrations during the annual World Food Expositions (WOFEX) for the past several years all over the country. Luzon, Vizayas & Mindanao. And in doing so, I was given the opportunity to meet several exciting & diverse group of well-known personalities like Chefs, writers & editors, TV & movie stars, etc.

I am so honored to meet “big shots and big names” in the culinary industry. Getting to know them personally, talk to them and in return, remembering me, not as someone from Cagayan de Oro or Mindanao, but as Chef Ed! Incredible, isn’t it?


Well, the climb up was not that easy I should say. I was nobody then trying to create a niche in this wonderful industry of food & drinks. Not that I am a somebody now, but I remember just being me and trying to get to know these people, have pictures taken with them and asking for their business cards so I can always say, “Hey! I have met so and so” and when I get back to CDO, I have lots of stories to tell.


With the gracious help of the late Ms Mary Kaw of Peotraco Industries, she paved the way for me to be known, acknowledge & be heard during the Filipino-Chinese Bakery Expo at the World Trade Center way back in the early 2000. I was asked to “emcee” all her events & demonstrations at the main stage. I also had my very first national baking demonstration then, to a jam-packed live audience showcasing my delicious version of Camiguin Pastel, which was also known as the “Queen of Breads”.


Eventually, I get to attend more food expos like Asia Food Expo, PhilFoodEx, MafBex, Mindanao Culinary Expo, MinFHEx, Kadayawan Culinary Expo, Cebu Goes Culinary and many others. Which turns out to be very educational and eye-popping for someone like me. And finally, my doors were widely open for endless possibilities..


Ultimately, I was invited to serve as a culinary judge in food shows, HRM schools, and many others all over the country and in different competitions like Flairtending Competitons, Cooking & Baking, Cake Decorating Competitions, Ice Carving, Barista, and many, many others. Which again, gave me a better insight of what it is to be, and what to look for in a contest. Although, modesty aside, I had won several Regional & National baking & cake decorating contests myself during my younger days. God-given talent and genes runs in the family, I should say. I was also invited several times by local TV stations to handle culinary segments of their variety/talk show.

Then, finally, a few years back I was tasked by some of my national suppliers to help them promote their products, be it cookware, ingredients, or equipment through a live cooking or baking presentation. Guess they all saw the potential and positive demeanor in me and my “surprising hidden talents” that should be shared.


And as the saying goes, the rest is history. I became a “regular” presenter (these, in my own words) in the several WOFEX all over the Philippines. Last year marks a milestone in my career as a Chef because I get to be a part in all the 3 World Food Expos! And being a Kagay-anon, I felt very proud and honored to be the only one form the city of golden friendship to be given the magnificent opportunity to do something I really enjoyed & be an inspiration to the future “Chefs”.


Those amazing exposures really gave me the much- needed confidence to face many people and still do things that I think I do best. To teach, to nurture & to guide my fellow “bakers & cooks” in my own little way. Meeting wonderful & remarkable award-winning chefs also gave me a fantastic and insightful perception in this changing world of globally competitive food & cuisine.


And of course if it’s not for these creative and willing people who gave their trust & confidence in me, I would not be where I am right now which continue to challenge me in my quest for new exciting trends, superb ideas and fantastic ways to improve my craft in this ever changing breathtaking culinary world. And before I forget, I would like to thank the wonderful people behind Premier Events Plus (PEP) Group Inc, Mr. Joel Pascual, President, and his equally admirable staffs: Ms. Ria & Ms. Chari, Stab and Paolo for having been always so kind and supportive of me through the years in their annual food expositions.


On the other hand, most of the culinary personalities, proprietors, exhibitors & sponsors of WOFEX became my friends & allies. I learn & continue to learn from them. And it is much easier now to “ask” questions and get great answers from them! That’s what friends are for, right?


It was during these past exposition’s that I get to upgrade also my skills and see new trends and exciting products. And that is exactly why I am encouraging and inviting all enthusiasts, businessmen and the like to attend this event. By the way, entrance is FREE! And will last till Saturday, the 11th of June.


The 6th World Food Expo (Mindanao) is being held here in Cagayan de Oro which started last Wednesday, June 8th, for the very first time after being in Davao City for the past 5 years. Isn’t it wonderful? We are now all given the privileges to join, participate & be a part of the Philippines’ most exciting Ultimate Food Show!


Come one, come all and be amazed! Earn & Learn!


Website: www.potsnpans1976.weebly.com email: potsnpans1976@yahoo.com


No comments:

Post a Comment