Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Good Bye 2010…Hello 2011!

By Chef Ed Dychauco, RN

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

2010 is almost over and as I look back, it was a great year indeed for me, both as a culinary artist and a nurse.

Looking back on the highlights of this past year, I should say I was blessed with so much opportunity to spread my wings and in a way, made a lot of people happy. I did a lot of traveling to Luzon, Vizayas and various parts of Mindanao doing what I should say I do best, teaching and conducting culinary demonstrations to different groups of people.

I was able to handle a couple of lectures in the field of Nursing, being my first love. It was an affair to remember both for me and the graduating students of Mindanao State University (MSU) and Xavier University College of Nursing because I always find it exciting and enriching to talk about my experiences as a nurse in the United States of America. While for most of them, it would always be an eye-opener since most of these future nurses would leave the country sooner or later and I firmly believe it would help them in so many ways in adjusting and coping better with a new, stressful (!) but stimulating lives abroad.

Looking back during my college days, we never had these talks that would prepare us for the “real” nursing life outside school. We would just depend on what was taught and what we experienced in the local hospitals. There were limited resources that we can do to research on the topics explained. But still, I am proud to say we ended as the crème de la crème in our school, starting from almost 200 in the freshmen years, only 35 of us survived the rigid but fun-filled course. Most of my classmates are now successful in their own right, working as nurses here and abroad.

Being a foodie, I also get to travel all over the Philippines. I attended, served as judge and did live culinary demonstrations during World Food Expositions (WOFEX 2010) held in Cebu City (Cebu International Convention Center), in Davao City (Bangko Sentral) and in Manila (World Trade Center). It was really fun teaching enthusiastic participants in the field of cooking, baking and cake decorating and at the same time, introducing new and innovative products to the public.

Serving as a judge in Flairtending and Barista Competitions (both regional and national) made me more attentive and sensitive to the intricacies in the making of a great drink/coffee and the showmanship that goes with it.

I was also made to judge during the 10th Mindanao Culinary Festival held in Davao City which fortunately was made into two parts, one in June and the second in September. And of course, I enjoyed tremendously the travel to Davao City.

Davao became a place I visited four months in a row -- June for the Wofex
Mindanao and MCF (Part 1), July for a Bread Baking seminar, August for Ginoong Kadayawan Body Building Competition, and September for the second part of MCF.

And not to forget, the fresh produce (fruits and vegetables) at very, very low prices that I get to buy and bring home.

Judging several other talent search competitions, salad-making competition and other food competitions were also held all over the city. Again, it was an enriching experience, visually and artistically!

Cooking demonstrations for Aji-Ginisa Mix were also conducted here in Cagayan de Oro, Ozamiz City and Butuan City during the last quarter of the year. It was again a fun-filled activity with as much as 250 participants in one of those areas. Got my share of the beautiful umbrella (it was raining those times!) and the electric fan as presents! Not bad, huh?

McCormick’s Buffalo Wings seasoning and gravy premixes were also introduced in Butuan and Cagayan de Oro and I got the honor of doing it for them. Once more, it was a different experience for me doing yet another delicious event which made my mouth water as I am writing this!

Altus Communications (Nokia) brought me to the exotic and friendly city of Zamboanga for the first time in my life. It was such an unforgettable experience not only because it was my very first, but because I also get to taste their delicious and exotic cuisine and most of all experience first hand, their warm hospitality!

Pagadian City was another place I get to visit upon the invitation of St. Columban College HRM Department. There, I was bombarded with so much “bulad” in their market. First time in my life have I seen so much dried fish in all sizes and shapes and other dried seafoods. It was literally a haven for these salty delicacies!

I had the chance of showcasing my skills in fondant-decorating in the newest TV show in town, ISYU over Kapuso’s GMA 7 and an interview during the Iponan’s Suman Festival was also aired that same day at Kapamilya’s early morning show Pamahaw Espesyal and TV Patrol later in the evening. Call me a Kapusong Kapamilya or Kapamilyang Kapuso!

Facebooking boomed this year and I am so glad to find old friends and acquaintances through this social networking area. Classmates from elementary, high school and college, students, teachers and friends from various parts of the world were found and there was instant connection! It was so exciting to be in touch once again. Some are old, some stayed “young” but most of them have grown up (well, physically and physiologically!).

With all these blessings this past year, I should truly say…God is good. And it was an unforgettable year!

My wish for the New Year? Global peace and more good food on our tables.

A prosperous and healthy 2011 New Year to everyone! (Website: www.potsnpans1976.weebly.com; email: potsnpans1976@yahoo.com)

Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on December 29, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment