Friday, November 12, 2010

Bye, Mama Mary!


Chef Ed Dychauco, RN

“When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me…speaking words of wisdom, let it be! And in my hours of darkness, she is standing right in front of me, speaking words of wisdom, let it be…..” a song that constantly reminds me of Mama Mary (Ms. Mary Kaw of Peotraco Industries).

It was way back in the late 90’s (1997 to be exact) that I get to finally meet and talk to Ms. Mary during one of those food expositions held at the world trade center. It was a casual “hi & hello” meeting which I never thought would end up this far. Being in the food industry, it wasn’t hard to see & meet people in the industry during activities like this.

The following year I got to join and win the regional competitions for the very First Van den Berg Live Cake Decorating Competitions here in Cagayan de Oro City. Which eventually brought me to Manila for the National Contest at the Heritage Hotel. It was here that I finally caught Ms Mary’s attention. I made a wedding cake, entitled “Kasalan Sa Nayon” and what I guess attracted her was the assorted sugar flowers I used in decorating the base of my cake entry. Ranging from the exotic roses to wild orchids, it was one cake I will always be proud of.

After the competitions, I was given a business card by Ms. Mary. The rest, I should say, is history. It was a start of a very close friendship that was bound beyond business. She became someone I looked up too. She was not just a friend, she was more than a friend.

Our friendship grew deeper as the years passed. I have been using Peotraco Products for so long that I know everything and can use & talk about everything even with my eyes closed! Every time I go to Manila, I would never fail to give Ms Mary a call. She would get upset if I don’t!

And in doing so, I got to know more about Peotraco & her family. I became like a family member to them. I guess she wouldn’t mind me saying this. I was an “adopted” son to them. Later, I got to meet Mr. John Kaw, the better half and a few of their children. Evan used to be active in their business until he left for abroad. Lately, it was Ms. Abigail. A really nice lady, who, just like her mom is one of a kind!

The turning point in my life as a culinary artist came in 2001, during the 2nd Filipino-Chinese Bakery Expo again at the World Trade Center. I was tasked by Ms Mary to be an emcee for all her culinary demonstrations, together with Chef Dennis Hipolito at the main stage. During this event, I finally got to meet up-close big names in the industry & they eventually became very close friends and to name a few: Ms. Avelina Florendo (Philippines Cake Queen), Ms. Penk Ching, Ms. Dorothy Ferreria, Ms. Melissa Lim, Ms. Emelita Galang and her daughter, Ms. Reggie Aspiras and many, many more. I also get to showcase my fondant cakes all over Peotraco’s booth during the duration of the event. It was such an unforgettable experience for me.

And for the succeeding food expos, I was invited by Ms Mary to do demonstrations, be an emcee or serve as a judge in culinary contests in Manila. From then on, I attended activities like this regularly and made lots of friends in the industry. Most often, it will be me & Ms Mary who would go around and check out events like this.

On the other hand, here in Cagayan de Oro I also became active in staging culinary shows and demonstrations which have brought me to various parts of Mindanao. Be it in HRM schools, government or NGO’s I have been doing my share of teaching and of course, Peotraco is always and will always be my partner. I also had the priviledge of Ms Mary’s presence here in CDO during one of my previous culinary activities. The 2nd time she came over was with her husband, Mr. John after when they went to Camiguin to turn-over a school building with then Secretary Angelo Reyes.

So many a time, Ms Mary would lend me her car so I can go around Manila easily. Oftentimes, she would let her “sidekick” come along with me just to make sure I get to my destination on time. Eventually, she became Mama Mary to me.. a Mama in the real sense of the word! I would spend time in their office & factory in Caloocan City where there are times I would have lunch with them, just like a family member.

We would talk about business, about food, about cakes, pastries, health and even religion. In fact I got the privilege to visit the temple where she goes. It was so serene and beautiful. She would introduce me to her friends (who eventually became my friends, too), specially cake bakers & owners. I also had the honor of working with the late Mama Els (Aurelia Yap) who serves as their consultant and was a mentor of the owners of Goldilocks, Red Ribbon and other well-known bake shops in the country.

It is only more than 10 years that I got to know Mama Mary but it seems like I have known her all my life! I can still remember her laughter, her zest for life! I talked to Mama Mary a few days after she arrived from the US last September. She was in her usual self, funny and full of life. There were no signs of illness. That was Mama Mary. We talked and we laughed. I never knew it was going to be our last conversation. If I only knew! I should have called her more often, I should have visited her. I should have..but I never did!

Last Tuesday, I got a text message from her daughter, Abigail, informing of Mama Mary’s departure. I was devastated. I was in shock. I couldn’t believe she was gone. But one thing I am sure of, Mama Mary is happy where she is now. Free from pain, free from everyday stresses. She is at peace with Him.

Mama Mary, thank you for the wonderful memories, friendship, laughter and most specially, your words of wisdom. I will surely miss you but in my heart and in my prayers, you will always be there!

article was published in sunstar cdo November 5, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment