Tuesday, July 2, 2013

School Days Recollection



Chef Ed Dychauco, RN
May 30, 2013

In a week or two, classes in almost all level will start. Some would welcome with gusto, it while some would not be happy going (back) to school. Whatever it is, this is and will always be a part of everyone’s growing up life.

For the most, it is a continuous process in our daily existence. In fact, we should be thankful for being given the opportunity and chance to learn and in the process become what we are today. Many are not given the good fortune of going to school. According to statistics, many start in their basic education but only a certain percentage get to finish college. And become successful in their fields.

We should definitely thank our parents, for their hard work, patience, and most of all, the time they devote in waking up early and sleeping late just to prepare everything for our education.

I should commend my parents, both of them. My father for working hard to earn the needed money and my mother for being at home to oversee everything is alright. In a family of 6 siblings, this is not a joke. This is serious business.

Life was simpler then. I remember me and my younger brother would sit on my elder sister, Gloria’s lap (one on each) to save the extra .10 cents (yes, you read it right! Ten Cents!) for the jeepney fare going to or from school. Well, that was way back in the 60’s!

Our “baon” then was also ten cents. And with that amount we can either buy a bottle of soda or a few slices of “Chinese puto” or a few pieces of bread. And we would walk home happy filling our tummy!

Of course, my mom would prepare our snacks which would consist of a sandwich and ice cold water (or ice cold juice, if we are lucky). Ice cold because our “Tupperware” plastic container is frozen overnight and by recess time, it should have been thawed and drinkable.

When I was in high school, my baon was 15 cents more, which means, it was .25 cents. And during those days, a bottle of soda was .15 cents. And normally cookies or bisquit (remember, angel sweet?) was also .15 cents. So I would end up buying banana-que, camote-que or any native kakanin (over the bakod of the school’s gate or fence) and drink water from the faucet. Drinking fountain was never heard of.

It would definitely fill my empty stomach which would last till either lunch time or dinnertime when I get home. I would envy my “rich” classmates then because they get to buy the packed snack items. Nevertheless, I knew I had my fill and I was happy!

During my college days, jeepney ride costs only .25 cents. That was during my nursing years. I remember bringing lunch or dinner, especially when I go for our morning or evening duty in the hospital. It was a lot of savings on my part. And I get to have foods from Pots & Pans!

I was helping my late sister Gloria, who originally owns the bake shop on my free time. That I should say molded me into what I became. Plus the fact that I get to learn first-hand from an expert! Needless to say, I got a flat 1 (the highest score) on my nutrition class! Not bad, huh?

Guess it was during those times that I realized that I have the talent for culinary arts. And I was glad I was given the opportunity to develop this God-given skill.

So for those who are luckily enrolled, give it the utmost importance and try to make the most of what you have. Study & learn. Remember, you are the few fortunate ones! Grab every opportunity for learning.

Remember, Life is what you make it!



No comments:

Post a Comment