Friday, February 11, 2011

Kung Hei Fat Choy


Kung Hei Fat Choi ! (Year of the Metal Rabbit)

Chef Ed Dychauco, RN

Being a Chinoy, I am always proud of my Chinese heritage. But having been born here and grew up in a Filipino community, I had the best of both worlds.

I get to celebrate both cultures and having spent years in a Chinese school, we get to observe many holidays and special occasions or both cultures.

Say, we get observe 2 new year celebrations. Today (February 3) being the first day of the year of the rabbit, we look forward again to a better life. Like what we always hope for year after year.

Looking back, we have incorporated a lot of both cultures into our lives. We go to school learning Filipino, English, Mandarin & Fookien dialect. Plus of course, Spanish in high school and college. I guess I shouldn’t complain because we can subtly call ourselves “linguists” in some way. The “workload” then being a student was quite a lot but not as much I can see in my kids today!

I only finished grade 6 in my Chinese school. I can still read basic Chinese characters in Mandarin and I can say I can still speak fluently the Fookien dialect (which is most of the Chinoys in the Philippines uses) and it does help in the business sector.

Preparing round fruits to be placed on the table on new year’s eve has been a practice in my family for so long. And I bet almost every family does the same thing. Pineapple is one fruit that should be present because when translated, pineapple in Chinese means “luck, come”. And of course, anything round (oranges), red (apples) or gold is said to bring good luck & prosperity.

Another food item that should always be around is “Tikoy”, now a favorite item for Filipinos as well. Tikoy is usually round and can come in different flavors (ube, mango, pandan, corn, etc.). It is made with rice flour, sugar, water & flavorings and steamed. When cooked, it is sticky and sweet and is used to represent a family that should remain close to each other, and sweetness among each other.

The new year is greeted with a Big Bang! Meaning, fireworks (to drive evil spirits away) and the very famous Chinese Dragon Dance. Normally, the dragon dancers will “eat” the red envelope (Ang Pao) containing money, using the dragon’s mouth. And they are supposed to do exhibitions with their martial arts skills combined with other steps in getting the red envelope. I have seen these dragon dancers one on top of the other going as high as 3-4 stories high (Chinatown in Manila has high buildings) just to get the money. It really needs a lot of dexterity & skills in performing such arts. And with the accompanying live music, how authentic can one get? I know I always have fun watching them while I was a kid and even until now. I miss the “long” dragon dance since what we usually have here in the city are the “shorter” dragon and they can’t be spinning and doing more acrobatic acts.

Wearing something red with round designs (representing money) is another favorite thing to do. Having money on their pockets would even be better.

But then again, I always believe that happiness, luck & prosperity entail hard work, honesty, integrity, unselfishness & lots of love. And of course, prayer.

Kung Hei Fat Choi! Welcome, the Year of the Metal Rabbit!

Website: www.potsnpans1976.weebly.com email: potsnpans1976@yahoo.com

Published at Sunstar cdo February 3, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment